If you have always aspired to be a fashion designer or one who is seriously giving this career option a thought, you must keep in mind that it isn’t a career for everyone. If you don’t bring in the right skills to the table you aren’t likely to find your way into the top colleges for fashion designing. No matter how closely you follow this industry or how passionate you are, you need to have these five skills to become a fashion designer –
- Creativity – If ‘creativity’ as a word has never been associated with you, you should give the idea of becoming a fashion designer a second thought. Without creativity you won’t go anywhere. From how you dress to how you can make use of pen and paper you need to have creative skills. It is like knowing math for an engineer or human anatomy for a doctor.
- Eye for detail – As a fashion designer every day is a learning opportunity. From visiting a museum looking at royal attire of the past to watching the latest Hollywood flick you should be able to study the finer points of a design and be able to recall when you need it.
- Visualization – Whether it is understanding clients’ demand or planning a design in your mind you need to have strong visualization skills. You need to see things before you show it to others. Strong visualization skills will help you imagine what will work and what won’t beforehand and help you take the right course of action when it comes to designing a clothing or accessory.
- Drawing Skills – You don’t have to draw a Mona Lisa but at the same time you can’t be a complete mug as far as drawing skills are concerned. While computer tools are pretty common you still need to have good drawing skills to put your idea into a piece of paper anytime and anywhere.
- Logic & Numbers – People often think of fashion as being an expression of creativity. But if you are poor with numbers or logic you aren’t likely to succeed. It is important to be good in fundamentally playing with numbers and secondly having business acumen at the start of the course will keep you ahead of the curve.
If you have these skills in you, it is time for you to search for the top colleges for fashion designing and get your career in this industry rolling.