The Fashion Industry has evolved significantly! Over the last 20 years, the industry has seen rapid growth, not only in terms of production, revenue and design but also in terms of the kind of career avenues that have opened up. Gone are the days when one could think of being in the Fashion Industry only as a Fashion Designer. There are countless careers in and related to the Fashion Industry today and the roles are ever-evolving.
It’s not just Glitz and Glamour, Fashion Industry is one of the most hard – working industries in the world. Living up to the constant demand and need of the changing times, it will keep you on your toes. If you have a creative mind and you come up with interesting ideas, this industry is a great place for you. Let’s look at some of the career options one can explore in the industry.
1. FASHION DESIGNER – Fashion Designing is an integral part of a Fashion House. Everything starts with a design. Being a Fashion Designer can be challenging but if you can live up to the constant changing dynamics of the Seasons then you should definitely explore this career. If you’re fresh out of a fashion college, consider interning at a reputed Fashion House to learn the nuances of design.
2. STYLIST– From Editorial Styling to Celebrity Styling, the Styling Career has evolved over time. If you have a keen eye for detail, if you can communicate and understand who your client is and what they want, you should consider getting into Styling.
3. FASHION TECHNOLOGIST – Fashion Technologists work on the creation of Fabrics. They ensure the fabric is made using the most cost effective and efficient methods. Today we see companies coming up with Sustainable and Eco Friendly Fabrics. Students with Science background can opt for this Career.
4. FASHION E-COMMERCE – Coming from a Fashion E-commerce industry, with an experience of almost 6 years now, I can safely say that it’s one of the fastest evolving industries out there. It’s exciting and cut throat at the same time. Today almost every Brand has an e-commerce Website. There are e-business MBA programs. If you have a Fashion & Business Background, you should definitely look at starting an e-commerce website. If that’s not possible financially, you can start with selling your Designs, Merchandise on E-commerce Marketplaces like Amazon, Flipkart etc. Consider interning at an E-commerce Company before starting your own to gain Business experience.
5. LUXURY BRAND MANAGER – Major responsibility of a Luxury Brand Manager is to cater to a Specific Clientele. Understanding Consumer Psychology plays an important role in this career. One must understand the vision of the Luxury Brand and implement Strategies accordingly.
6. FASHION BLOGGER – From Blogging Part-time to taking up Blogging as a Career, Blogging has come a long way. The Popular Content Creators/Bloggers are now known as influencers because of their reach and the impact they have on their audience. They’re now Celebrities & Brands in their own right. One should have a voice because there’s a plethora of Bloggers out there; you don’t want to get lost.
7. DIGITAL MEDIA SPECIALIST – With almost every individual on social media today, companies are hiring professionals to manage and create content for their social media handles. If you love creating content, you should consider this career option.
8. FASHION SHOW PRODUCER – For a 10-15 minutes runway show, the planning and work starts almost a year in advance. A Fashion Show Producer is in charge of every aspect of a Fashion Show. The responsibilities are both creative and business. Scouting Locations, Budgeting, assisting in selecting the designers are some of the aspects. Making decisions quickly and communicating effectively are one of the most important skills for this job.
There are many other career opportunities in fashion industry which includes Fashion Illustrator, Fashion Business Management, Fashion Photography, Fashion Retailer, Trend Forecaster, Retail Buyer, Fashion Editor and many more.
Founder and Director, Semessta